Discover the surprising truth about pressure washing your roof! Is it safe? Is it worth the risk? Read the article to find out before you make a costly mistake!
Your roof is an important part of your home’s structure and plays a key role in protecting your family and possessions from the elements.
Over time, however, your roof can become covered in dirt, debris, and algae, which not only looks unsightly but can also cause damage to your roof. Pressure washing is one option to remove these unwanted substances and restore your roof’s appearance.
But is it safe to pressure wash your roof? In this article, I will explore the benefits and potential risks of pressure washing your roof and help you determine whether it’s the right choice for your home.
Is it safe to pressure wash your roof?
Yes, there are certain ways through which you can achieve pressure washing that can be beneficial for your roof as it is the easiest way to get rid of stubborn stains.
You can pressure wash a roof but it’s a lot trickier and risky. So, we would advise you to refrain from pressure washing it as it is a high-power tool and can penetrate the surface causing cracks and holes.
However, I will talk about both the positive and negative aspects. So, you can have a clear-cut image.
Positive aspects of pressure washing your roof:
- Easy riddance of algae and moss: with its high power you can get rid of dark stains of algae through pressure washing in no time and with less effort. If done properly, it even prevents it from growing back.
- No leftover debris/branches: after heavy rainfall or storm, usually the roof gets messier with a lot of small needles, branches, leaves, and dirt. Pressure washing will wipe it off in no time without any traces left behind.
- Increase lifetime: a well-maintained roof not only looks good but also increases the lifetime of a roof. As grown debris slowly eats the roof and imbed moisture in it.
- Increases home worth: no matter how maintained your home area is if your rooftop is stained it will lose its value. So, a well-maintained roof also increases your overall property value.
Best approaches to pressure washing your roof
- Use a pressure washer with the lowest pressure setting and with an adjustable nozzle tip or a wider tip to decrease sharp pressure.
- Balance the ladder properly, if used. Although avoid using it as there is a higher risk of imbalance while pressure washing.
- While pressure washing roof shingles move the flow of water down rather than pointing it up. As it will root harm or might rip them off.
- If not sure how to do it properly, take help from professionals.
Negative aspects of pressure washing your roof:
Materials and mixtures used in roofs are mostly not compatible with pressure washing can lead to multiple unwanted damages. Especially high-pressure washing should be avoided at any cost, especially on aged roof surfaces.
- It may damage or break the tie or adhesive bonding in between shingles.
- Can provide potential damage to any fabric present under the roof.
- If pressure washing is not done carefully, it can decrease the lifeline of the material. On the other hand, can increase life if done with the proper method.
- Harm the coating on shingles, this coating/ granule is there to protect the roof from sunlight and extreme weather rays.
- Water leakage due to cracks or holes in the roof.
- Guarantees that come with roofs are a bit tricky, damage caused to the roof by pressure washing may void it. Therefore, recovering those damages will be a costly option to do.
How often should you pressure wash your wash?
If you are confident enough to do the pressure washing of the roof without causing it damage. Doing it after 2 to 3 years is good enough time. In between, you can opt for soft washing if necessary.
Moreover, the best time for pressure washing roofs is in clear days, when less humidity is present in the air. The weather shouldn’t be too cold or hot.
Pressure washing the roof is achievable but should be avoided for safety concerns. If you are persisting to do so then make sure you are not putting too much pressure on the surface as it is prone to damage it.
In this article, we had talk about both pros and con aspects of pressure washing. Now it is up to you whether you go for it or stand against it. Or third safe option can also be used in the form of help from professionals in business.